Join Our Team
Explore Job Openings with Brooklyn Org
Donor Engagement Manager
About Brooklyn Org
Brooklyn Org is a champion for Brooklyn, bringing together Brooklynites, Brooklyn backers, businesses, and broader believers in equity and racial justice to be a new model for local philanthropy, built from the ground up.
Since its founding in 2009 as Brooklyn Community Foundation, Brooklyn Org has moved over $100 million to nonprofits through its strategic grantmaking and Donor Advised Funds, while driving action to address urgent crises and long-term change in Brooklyn. Each year, Brooklyn Org partners with Brooklyn residents to invest more than $5 million in high-impact nonprofits advancing racial justice at every level across the borough. Learn more at brooklyn.org.
The Donor Engagement Manager (DEM) supports fundraising strategies to help grow individual, corporate and foundation support, manages Brooklyn Org events, and oversees the membership program. This position plays an integral role in overseeing functions of the Donor Engagement department– including the growth, maintenance, stewardship, and cultivation of Brooklyn Org’s donor base—as well as implementing donor tracking/prospecting systems and growing revenue through events.
This is a full-time based position in Brooklyn and reports to the Vice President of Donor Engagement (VPDE) and manages the Donor Engagement Assistant (DEA).
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Donor Relations and Fundraising:
- Organize and execute solicitation campaigns and fundraising strategies in partnership with VPDE
- Oversee BKO membership program, which includes developing strong relationships with new/current donors, employing cultivation and stewardship strategies to increase giving and expand reach, and conducting appropriate follow-up and stewardship on all gifts
- Plan and develop solicitation for corporate sponsorships/funding and manage outreach activities
- Partner with Donor Engagement and Communications Teams on strategy work with board level Advancement Committee, as well as prepare materials/presentations for Advancement Committee meetings
- Maintain and manage workflow for proactive prospect identification, with support of Donor Engagement Assistant (DEA), bringing new prospects for VPDE and CEO outreach and meetings
- Accountable for Spark Prize Committee management by DEA and initiate committee cultivation efforts
- Oversee Annual Appeal and major mailings (project management, content creation, mailing lists, etc.)
Donor Education and Events:
- Oversee all signature Brooklyn Org events and act as primary contact for event production consultants, if contracted, and event committees as needed
- Explore and implement strategies to increase event revenue year over year
- Manage sponsorship prospects, planning, and outreach
- Bring creative approaches to engage and cultivate new/existing donors and donor advisors, centering Brooklyn Org’s racial justice commitment and creating opportunities to highlight local grassroots organizations advancing racial and social justice in the borough. Collaborate with Communications and Programs teams when necessary.
- Develop site visit/ in-home/volunteer/event outreach, maintain lists for invitations and event solicitations
- Manage venue logistics and vendors (catering, rentals, seating, etc.)
- Develop individual donor pre-event and post-event stewardship plans and communications
Data Management and Analysis:
- Own Salesforce/CRM processes, and build stewardship tools and automations in support of donor engagement plans
- Manage external Salesforce/CRM consultants on donor engagement efforts/updates
- Provide complete and thorough reporting and analysis of donor engagement initiatives
- Manage fundraising revenue reporting and reconciliation with Finance team
- Ensure integrity of donor engagement data and up-to-date donation tracking
- Ensure documentation of all development activity related to donor identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship in Salesforce/CRM platform
- Any other responsibilities as required
Abilities and Competencies:
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills
- Superior attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and adjust priorities as competing projects vie for attention
- Keen sense of discretion, especially when handling confidential donor and other sensitive information
- People management skills: time management, project management, delegation, coaching, motivating, and ability to prioritize
- Ability and desire to interact with a broad cross-section of constituents and stakeholders with positivity
- Ability to work independently and also be a team player
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least 5 years of experience, preferably with experience in nonprofit fundraising, events and sponsorships, and having managed direct report(s)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience and understanding of Salesforce/CRM database management
Salary Range: $75,000 – $78,000 annually
How to Apply:
Email cover letter and résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org (no reference letters or phone calls please!) and please list Donor Engagement Manager in the Subject line.
The Organization offers an excellent benefits package, which includes 30 days paid time off, 11 holidays, birthday PTO, summer Friday half days, employer-paid health and dental insurance, and a friendly work environment.
Currently, full-time employees are required to come into the office at least 3 days a week, subject to workload and in person collaboration needs.
Brooklyn Org is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In alignment with its Racial Justice Lens, the Organization is committed to maintaining a staff that diversifies philanthropy, including lifting up the leadership of people from communities historically underrepresented in the field and those directly affected by structural racism, centering them in decision-making. Additionally, the Organization does not base any hiring decisions on an applicant’s history of involvement in the criminal justice system.