Development and Communications Associate
This position plays an integral role in the growth, maintenance, and cultivation of Brooklyn Community Foundation’s donor base through prospect research, database management, mailings, events, and external Foundation communications.
We’re looking for a self-motivated and goal-oriented team member who is passionate about donor management, relations, and communications in support of our mission for a fair and just Brooklyn.
We’ll invite you to be a part of a highly effective and collaborative team. Our goal is to empower you to be the owner of donor data, and manage the day-to-day logistics of donor research, communications, and events. You will work closely with our Development and Communications teams, as well as the CEO and COO to ensure accurate donor information, cultivation, stewardship, and communications.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
Development, Donor Relations, and Data Management
- Primary manager of CRM database for donor information, incoming donations, Donor Advised Fund contributions, and account notes
- Maintain all donor files (electronic and paper)
- Generate acknowledgement letters for donations received
- Conduct prospect research
- Provide administrative support for liaising with donors
- Assist in preparing board and committee meeting materials and attend meetings as needed Manage organizational calendars, including events and deadlines to ensure staff delivers all activities in a timely manner
- Assist in planning and implementing special events, in-home donor events, and public events
- Generate lists and pull donor information for invitations and guest lists, and track RSVPs
- Develop materials and communications for event outreach as well as onsite materials
- Liaise with guest speakers
- Manage venue logistics and vendors
- Help develop follow-up and stewardship communications post event
Website, Social Media, Email Communications
- Help manage, update, and maintain Foundation websites and blog, including donation forms and event pages
- Assist with writing and distribution of e-newsletters, blogs, board updates, and event invitations
- Gather, edit, and write content for Foundation social media platforms
- Maintain and update donor marketing materials
- Manage, archive and organize photographs, video, and presentations
- Bachelor’s Degree
- At least two year of experience in an entry-level position, preferably with experience in administrative support, development, or communications
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills as well as an eye for design
- Superior attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and adjust priorities as competing projects vie for attention
- Experience with CRM database management; familiarity with Salesforce strongly preferred
- Keen sense of discretion especially when handling confidential donor and other sensitive information
- Ability to work independently and also be a team player
This is a full-time position located in Brooklyn, NY that occasionally requires early morning, evening, and weekend work. Salary is $40,000-$50,000. The Foundation offers an excellent benefits package, which includes generous paid time off, employer-paid health and dental insurance, and a relaxed, friendly work environment.
Brooklyn Community Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In alignment with its Racial Justice Lens, the Foundation is committed to maintaining a diverse staff and lifting up the leadership of people from communities historically underrepresented in philanthropy. Additionally, the Foundation does not base any hiring decisions on an applicant’s history of involvement in the criminal justice system.
Email cover letter, résumé, and one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org (no reference letters or phone calls please) and list “Development and Communications Associate” in the subject line.
Communications Intern (Part-Time)
Brooklyn Community Foundation is seeking a communications and social media intern to join our Communications team for up to 20 hours a week for a three month period starting in January 2018.
The ideal applicant will possess strong knowledge of the digital media landscape, as well as dynamic writing and content development skills. The successful candidate will be responsible for contributing to web projects (writing, video, and photography), monitoring and posting to the Foundation’s blog and social networks, participating in online outreach and promotion, and optimizing our website. Those looking to gain valuable online media experience with a mission-driven organization are encouraged to apply. This position reports to the Foundation’s VP of Communications and Strategy.
- Work with the Foundation’s VP of Communications and Strategy to create and implement campaigns
- Create engaging blog and social media content
- Develop weekly and monthly content calendars
- Monitor analytics and campaign performance
- Assist in the general distribution of press releases and media alerts
- Provide support at events
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Communications or related field
- 2+ years’ experience in social media/marketing
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- In-depth working knowledge of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube
- Experience with social media analytics, including Google Analytics and Facebook Insights
- Fluency with Photoshop, Video editing programs, HTML, Drupal and/or WordPress
This is a paid internship. Interns will receive $15/hour for up to 20 hours per week.
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Liane Stegmaier, VP of Communications and Strategy, at email@example.com. Applications are requested by January 4, 2019.