A Global Day of Giving and Unity
Brooklyn’s communities are among the hardest hit in the world: our borough has the most deaths of any county in the country, and the highest fatality rate in the state.
Tomorrow is #GivingTuesdayNow, a global day of giving and unity, and we want to put Brooklyn at the forefront of this international call to action.
Our goal is to raise $1 million to support our most vulnerable neighbors through our #BrooklynGives for COVID-19 Relief donation platform at BrooklynGives.org.
Our Brooklyn COVID-19 Response Fund is the only comprehensive boroughwide relief effort of its kind centering communities of color, where the devastating social, economic, and health impacts of the pandemic have been magnified by deep structural inequities. Every dollar we raise goes to vital nonprofits serving the most vulnerable, with over $2 million deployed so far.
Our $1 million goal aims to support new organizations as well as those we have already funded:
- We want to raise $500,000 for the Brooklyn COVID-19 Response Fund so that we can make 50 new Immediate Response grants to continue to address urgent needs in the coming weeks.
- We are also helping organizations that have already received Immediate Response grants to collectively raise $500,000 by providing each with a $2,500 #GivingTuesdayNow match.
Immediate Response grants are powering the work of grassroots organizations like the 15 nonprofits receiving support this week, which include:
- Jeremiah Program Brooklyn to provide Brownsville families headed by single mothers with food, cleaning products, and infant supplies, as well as virtual family programming.
- Churches United for Fair Housing for emergency cash assistance for undocumented congregants of three member churches in Bushwick.
- DRUM - Desis Rising Up & Moving to support South Asian and Indo-Caribbean working class undocumented immigrants in Kensington with emergency food delivery, supplies, and mutual aid.
In times of crisis, Brooklynites unite to help our neighbors in need. Your support matters now more than ever. 100% of every donation goes to urgent needs in Brooklyn.