Apply by Monday, May 13, 2019
Do you or a young person you know have an idea on how to make Brooklyn better for youth?
Keep reading to learn more!
Brooklyn Community Foundation is committed to supporting the leadership and agency of youth in creating community change. YOUTH VOICE AWARDS (YVA) is a youth-led grantmaking program that sees youth as central players in making decisions around supporting youth-centered and youth-led projects. In partnership with nonprofits and supervising adults, Brooklyn youth can apply for small grants to respond to challenges in their neighborhoods or schools.
Youth Voice Awards is about elevating the powerful voices of our youth – youth believe they have the solutions we are looking for and we want to support their work through grants!
For Youth, By Youth
Now in its fourth year, the Brooklyn Youth Activists program consists of a group of 14- to 25-year olds envisioning and working towards radical change in Brooklyn. Activists work together to create an annual youth conference, deepen their commitment to social justice organizing, and support one another in their personal journeys as activists. The Activists are in charge of the Youth Voice Awards and are responsible for giving out $15,000 in awards and supporting young people’s work in Brooklyn.
Youth Voice Awards recipients get financial support for projects ranging from $500 − $2,000.
To be eligible to apply, youth applicants must:
- Be 14-25 years of age
- Have a partnership with a Brooklyn-based nonprofit organization or a school that can serve as your sponsor *If you do not have one, please reach out to us and we can help connect you with a Community Partner to help host your project*
Project Selection Criteria
The Youth Voice Awards support Brooklyn’s young people working in the following justice pillars. Below are examples to get your creativity going! We believe that these justice pillars intersect and connect with each other, which means your project may fit in one or more of these categories.
Brooklyn Youth Fellows will review and evaluate projects using the following criteria. We will prioritize Brooklyn-based projects that:
Fit into one or more of the justice pillars, outlined above
Position youth as leaders and decision makers in their own lives
Help young people deepen historical and cultural understanding of their experiences and community issues
Have a neighborhood-based and community-driven approach
Promote safe(r) spaces for young people to build, create and MAKE CHANGE!
PROCESS AND TIMELINE
All completed applications must be submitted by Monday, May 13, 2019 via email to YouthAwards@brooklyncommunityfoundation.org
- FEBRUARY: Aplications released [Download the application]
- APRIL 20th: Y.O.U (Youth Open Up!) CONFERENCE - *All are invited!*
- MAY 13th: Applications due
- SUMMER 2019: Projects take place in Brooklyn
- Include “Youth Voice Awards_[Applicant Name]” in the email subject and “[Applicant Name]” in the name of the PDFs.
- Use Arial font, size 11. Complete application should not be more than 5 pages.
- The completed application and all the support materials should be emailed as PDFs to YouthAwards@brooklyncommunityfoundation.org.