By opening a Donor Advised Fund at Brooklyn Community Foundation, you can continue to support the charities you care about while ushering in a new era of Brooklyn-based philanthropy and strengthening local communities.
What is a Donor Advised Fund?
A Donor Advised Fund is a fund through which you can grow your assets tax-free and conveniently direct grants to charities in Brooklyn and beyond. Created with a single tax-deductible donation of cash, stock, or real estate, you can name your fund and give at your own pace—we manage the rest.
View Our Donor Advised Fund Brochure
Learn more about all the benefits we offer to help you give to Brooklyn and beyond
Benefits of a Donor Advised Fund
- Simplify your giving
- Receive an immediate tax deduction
- Give at your own pace
- Invest your Fund tax-free
- Enjoy hassle-free administration
- Recommend grants to any registered domestic nonprofit organization
Your Fund Enables You to:
- Support Organizations You Care About: Your Fund is the most efficient way to support all of the organizations you care about through one simple channel.
- Optimize Your Tax Benefits: Take an immediate deduction for up to 50% of your Adjusted Gross Income on cash gifts, or up to 30% for gifts of appreciated securities. You may also avoid capital gains by making a gift of appreciated securities. Deductions may be taken all in one year or carried over for up to five years.
- Establish a Family Legacy: Your Fund allows you to build a powerful legacy that can be shared with your spouse or partner and passed down to your children and grandchildren.
- Diversify Your Giving: Our staff of experts can send you customized research on Brooklyn nonprofits that fits your interests.
- Co-Invest with Others: Use your Fund to align your giving with the Foundation’s Community Fund and other like-minded donors.
We Offer Multiple Fund Options:
- Classic Donor Advised Funds
($10,000 Minimum Initial Gift)
- Endowed Funds
($250,000 Minimum Initial Gift)
- Tribute & Memorial Funds
- Giving Circles
Our Service to You:
- Customized support
- Unparalleled knowledge of Brooklyn
- Due diligence and guidance on local nonprofits
- A range of Fund investment options
- Assistance with estate planning and bequests
Get Started Today:
Establishing a Fund is easy and can be set up in less than a week. Contact Donor Services to learn more:
Sarah Shannon, Director of Philanthropy & Donor Services
Andrea MacDonald, Manager of Donor Services